Working Goals for 2013-2014 — A Framework for Planning
Each year, the School of Arts and Sciences announces its objectives
and the proposed strategies for achieving its ongoing working goals.
This is an opportunity for the community, both within and external
to Tufts University, to see the work that we will try to move
forward in a particular year. Naturally, with a document this brief,
we are not able to capture all of the activities and complexity that
comprise our School. Instead, we have tried to summarize our most
significant projects and activities and indicate those plans to
which we will hold ourselves accountable.
These goals represent our commitment to strengthening the
intellectual, cultural and financial health of our institution. By
publishing them, we invite the A&S community to share in our plans
and our work for the year.
Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences
- Strengthen a Dynamic Faculty and Enhance our
Commitments to Research and Teaching
- Support Intentional and Purposeful Curricula,
Advising, and Mentoring
- Address Facilities and Related Infrastructure
Needs, with a Focus on Workplace Efficiencies
- Provide Transformative Experiences for
Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Support a Diverse and Inclusive Community
- Develop a Communications Strategy to Address
- Develop a Sustainable, More Efficient Financial
- Maintain Accessibility to a Tufts Education
- Establish Transparent Leadership and Increase
- Build Collaborative Partnerships Beyond A&S
Goal 1. Strengthen a Dynamic and Innovative Faculty and
Enhance Our Commitments to Research and Teaching
Goal 2. Support Intentional and Purposeful
Curricula, Advising, and Mentoring
- Continue to approve faculty cluster hires to
support interdisciplinary programs.
- History will search in AY 2013-14, as part of the
Race and Ethnicity cluster.
- Economics and Philosophy will search in the Food,
Science, and Society cluster in AY 2013-14.
- Religion will search in the Digital Humanities
cluster in AY 2013-14.
- Determine and announce the cluster topic for AY
- Clarify faculty workload policies across
departments and programs to make them more
consistent and transparent.
- Review the structure, organization, and
activities of GSAS to prepare for a search for a new
dean in spring 2014.
- Increase grant and fellowship activity across all
- Develop a team of sponsored research
administrators who will provide consistent and
reliable support for the life cycle of grants and
- Launch the Dean's fellowship program, designed to
seek external funds and to provide a one-semester
research sabbatical for associate professors in the
humanities and social sciences.
- Create a process for reviewing foundation and
distribution requirements in the undergraduate
- Working with the Education Policy Committee,
design a manner to increase Carnegie credit hours as
recommended by our accrediting agency, the New
England Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Evaluate and respond to recommendations from the
following A&S working groups: Online Education; Film
and Media Studies; Race and Ethnicity; and the
Reviews of the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies.
Goal 3. Address Facilities and Related
Infrastructure Needs, With a Focus on Workplace
Goal 4. Provide Transformative Experiences for
Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Create spaces that encourage collaboration and
community among faculty, staff and students and
across disciplines and departments.
- Launch plans for projects identified in the
University-wide capital plan: 574 Boston Ave., Tisch
Library, a science & engineering building, and an
interdisciplinary building. Open a renovated Cohen
Auditorium in fall 2013 and create space(s) for
late-night programming for students.
- Implement a new information system for
undergraduate admissions and explore its use for
GSAS admissions as well; design new recruitment and
selection processes in a paperless administrative
environment; assess the impact of the new technology
on staffing plans and operating budgets.
Goal 5. Support a Diverse and Inclusive Environment
- Conduct a national search for a new Dean of
Student Affairs (DOSA).
- Implement recommendations from Athletics
department external review.
- Continue to evaluate and implement changes to the
undergraduate advising system, and pilot Individual
Development Plan (IDP's) for doctoral students and
Goal 6. Develop a Communication Strategy to Address
- Evaluate and begin to implement the
recommendations from President's Diversity Council.
- Assess the impact of Fisher v. Texas on
undergraduate admission practices; amend recruitment
and selection policies and practices as necessary to
ensure compliance and to preserve the desired
diversity profile of each entering class.
Goal 7. Develop a Sustainable, More Efficient
- Continue to refine the A&S website by creating
new content that provides important information and
captures the excitement of our campus.
- Update the current website as we develop
long-term strategies with Central Communications to
improve the University's web services
- Strengthen relationships between the A&S
Communications Office and departments, programs and
divisions across the University.
Goal 8. Maintain Accessibility to a Tufts Education
- Simplify and rationalize the budget development
- Develop administrative clusters that provide a
more consistent and reliable level of support for
faculty, students and administrative programs.
- Increase fundraising for the Tufts Annual Fund,
which supports the operating budget.
Goal 9. Establish Transparent Leadership and
Increase Community Engagement
- Complete a two-year fundraising campaign for $25M
for financial aid and graduate/professional
- Continue to evaluate and improve BLAST program
for first generation students and secure ongoing
financial support for the program.
Goal 10. Build Collaborative Partnerships Beyond A&S
- Model transparent leadership by sharing the
School's goals with internal and external audiences.
- Schedule times (on a rotating basis) for the dean
to meet with full departments
- Facilitate more robust discussions and
deliberations in A&S faculty meetings
- Continue bi-annual town meetings with
- Meet annually with members of Tufts Community
Union Senate and establish a bi-annual dean's forum
to discuss topics of interest and concern with
- Engage faculty committees in decision when
possible and appropriate
- Engage community in the development of a
five-year Arts and Sciences strategic plan in 2014
in response to the University-wide strategic plan.
- Plan a faculty retreat in 2014 focused on
- Continue to strengthen our working relationship
with the School of Engineering
- Develop a more integrated model for graduate
student admissions and communications with SoE.
Work with SoE to develop plans for the new science
and engineering building, and programming for the
renovation of 574 Boston Ave.
- Include members of SoE and Tisch College in the
A&S strategic planning efforts.
- Work with School of Nutrition to develop an
- SoN faculty members will serve on search committees
for the Food, Science and Policy cluster hires.
- Work with new deans of Fletcher and the Tisch
College and other school deans to support common
needs and develop programs of mutual interest.