Admissions - Art Education
Prospective students can apply to the Art Education M.A.T. program through the Office of Graduate Admissions online portal. Recent Tufts alumni may be eligible for the TuftsPlus program, a streamlined application process.
Review the GSAS Admissions page for application deadlines.
- Interview with the Director of Art Education, Susan Barahal, well in advance of the application deadline.
- Online Application for Admission and Art Portfolio through Tufts Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
- College Transcripts: One official copy of each of your college transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Collectively the letters should address your capacity to accomplish graduate-level studies, your studio art practices, and your potential to become an effective PK-12 art teacher.
- Personal Statement elaborating on your reasons for wishing to pursue graduate study at Tufts and your vision of becoming an art teacher. Your personal statement should be a maximum of 2,500 words, single spaced. Describe experiences, including inspiring individuals or events that motivated you to take this path.
- Application Fee
- Financial Aid Application: If you are applying for financial assistance and/or a Tufts University department-based scholarship, be sure to complete the following two steps:
Tuition and Associated Costs
Tuition for the 12-month M.A.T. is charged on a per credit basis. The minimum credits required to complete the program is 30, with the option of additional courses to fulfill discipline specific requirements as needed . The most up-to-date tuition cost can be found on the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Tuition and Aid website under "Professional Graduate Programs." To qualify for federal financial aid, students must take a minimum of 6 credits per term.
For more information about the program's cost and fees (Student Activity Fee, Health Insurance and Fee) please see the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Tuition and Aid site. Tuition costs do not include room and board and living expenses. For information regarding on-campus and off-campus housing visit the GSAS website.