Online M.A.T. Programs
The Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary STEM will be offered completely online beginning in May 2021. Graduates from this program will be qualified for licensure in the state of Massachusetts.
Candidates who complete their M.A.T. online will experience the same coursework as our on-campus M.A.T. candidates and will work with the same faculty as their on-campus peers.
Online M.A.T. Program Highlights:
- Candidates will become part of a learning community at a top ranked university without relocating to the Boston area.
- Candidates will participate in weekly, live online course meetings to interact with faculty and peers in real-time.
- Candidates will attend two, 3-day on-campus residencies, where online students come together with faculty and classmates to prepare for upcoming course and practicum work.
- Candidates will complete an 8-month placement in a school to do deep, immersive classroom-based learning and practicum work. Placement occurs concurrently with coursework.
- Candidates will be eligible for licensure in the state of Massachusetts.
The first cohort began May 2021. Learn more about our online M.A.T. in Elementary STEM.
Disclosure on teacher initial licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Each state has its own requirements for licensure. It is our duty to disclose our approvals and requirements.
Our online MAT program is an approved initial teacher licensure program by the Massachusetts Department of Secondary and Elementary Education (DESE). As such, the program requires that all required practicum hours for licensure be completed in person at a public or approved charter school in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. While the required course work is offered online, the program is limited to candidates who can commit to completing their practicum in Massachusetts.
If you intend to teach outside of Massachusetts once you complete the program, it is not determined whether this program meets your home state requirements for initial licensure. It is your responsibility to complete any due diligence for reciprocity with other state licensure requirements. Please see the following table link for contact information for your home state’s licensure agency to confirm whether this program will meet your home state’s requirement for licensure. (Table)