Richard M. Lerner
The application of developmental science across the life span; developmental systems theory; personality and social development in adolescence; developmental methodology; programs and policies for children, youth, and families; university-community collaboration and outreach scholarship.
- John P. Hill Memorial Award for Life-Time Outstanding Work, the Society for Research on Adolescence, 2010
- Tufts University Distinguished Scholar Award, 2008
- Society for the Study of Human Development Mentor Award, 2007
- New England Psychological Association (NEPA) Distinguished Scholar Award, 2003
- National 4-H Council: Visionary Scholar and Leader Award, May 11, 2001
- Bergstrom Chair in Applied Developmental Science, Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study and Human Development, Tufts University, 1999-present
- Visiting Scholar, Center for the Study of Human Development, Brown University, September 1999-August 2000
- Anita L. Brennan Professor of Education, School of Education, Boston College, 1996-1999
- Mack and Effie Campbell Tyner Eminent Scholar Chair in the Department of Family, Child, and Consumer Sciences, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, 1994-1995
- Ph.D. Alumni Special Achievement Award, City University of New York, 1989
- Lansdowne Visiting Scholar, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, February, 1989
- Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Bildungsforschung, Berlin, Germany, Fall, 1983
- AMOCO Foundation Outstanding Teaching Award, The Pennsylvania State University, 1982
- Hunter College Hall of Fame (Elected 1981)
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, 1980-1981
- Distinguished Visitor Program, American Psychological Association, 1980-1981
- Strathmore's "Who's Who," Honored member, Registry 1998-1999
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Charter Fellow, American Psychological Society
- Fellow, American Psychological Association (Division 2: Teaching of Psychology, Division 7: Developmental Psychology, Division 9: Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues)
- Charter Fellow, American Association of Applied and Preventive Psychology, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America
- Charter Fellow, National Honor Society for Psychology (Psi Chi), Kappa Omicron Nu (Omicron Alpha Chapter), National Home Economics Honor
Lerner, R. M., Easterbrooks, A. M., & Mistry, J. (Eds.). (2012). Handbook of psychology: Vol. 6. Developmental psychology (2nd ed.). Editor-in- Chief: I. B. Weiner. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Lerner, J. V., & Benson, J. B. (Eds.). (2011). Positive Youth Development: Research and Applications for Promoting Thriving in Adolescence. London, England: Elsevier.
Warren, A.E.A., Lerner, R. M., & Phelps, E. (Eds.). (2011). Thriving and spirituality among youth: Research perspectives and future possibilities. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M. (Editor-in-Chief). (2010). The Handbook of Life-span Development. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Hood, K. E., Halpern, C. T., Greenberg, G., & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.). (2010). The handbook of developmental science, behavior and genetics. Malden, MA: Wiley Blackwell.
Lerner, R. M., & Steinberg, L. (Eds.). (2009). Handbook of adolescent psychology (3rd Ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Roeser, R. W., & Phelps, E. (Eds.). (2008). Positive youth development and spirituality: From theory to research. West Conshohocken, PA: Templeton Foundation Press.
Silbereisen, R. K., & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.). (2007). Approaches to positive youth development. London: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M. (2007). The Good Teen: Rescuing Adolescents from the Myths of the Storm and Stress Years. New York, NY: The Crown Publishing Group.
W. Damon, & Lerner, R. M. (Editors-in-chief). (2006). Handbook of Child Psychology (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Jacobs, F., & Wertlieb, D. (2005). Applied developmental science: An advanced textbook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Fisher, C. B. & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.). (2005). Encyclopedia of applied developmental science. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M., Brown, J. D., & Kier, C. (2005). Adolescence: Development, Diversity, Context, and Application. Canadian Edition. Toronto: Pearson.
Lerner, R. M. (2004). Liberty: Thriving and civic engagement among America's youth. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M., & Steinberg, L. (Eds.). (2004). Handbook of Adolescent Psychology (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Jacobs, F., & Wertlieb, D. (Eds.). (2003). Applying developmental science for youth and families: Historical and theoretical foundations. Volume 1 of Handbook of applied developmental science: Promoting positive child, adolescent, and family development through research, policies, and programs. Editors: Richard M. Lerner, Francine Jacobs, and Donald Wertlieb. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lerner, R. M., Easterbrooks, M. A., & Mistry, J. (Eds.). (2003). Handbook of psychology: Vol. 6. Developmental psychology. Editor-in- Chief: I. B. Weiner. New York: Wiley.
Lerner, R. M., Taylor, C. S., & von Eye, A. (Eds.). (2002). Pathways to positive development among diverse youth. New directions for youth development: Theory, practice, and research. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Lerner, R. M. (Ed.). (2002). Concepts and theories of human development (3rd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.