Grant Proposal Submissions
This resource page has been designed specifically for the use of the Arts and Sciences faculty and students to assist in the grant submission process. Below you will find guidance on university and department requirements, procedures, required forms, and most importantly, who to contact should questions arise.
A&S Research Administration provides assistance in proposal development, submission, and post-award management. We recommend using the on-line COS (Community of Science) search engine to find grant opportunities. Note: For private or foundation searches, contact Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR).
- Federal Opportunities for Postdocs
- Federal Opportunities for Graduate Students
- Faculty Fellowships for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty Fellowships for Basic Sciences
- Federal Opportunities for Early Career Faculty
On occasion the sponsor may limit the number of proposals submitted from one institution. Please contact Tufts Limited Submissions Office, your local research administrator (LRA), and A&S Research Administration, if the sponsoring agency has set such limits.
- Start this process at least a month in advance of the stated grant deadline. Request by PI/PD for Proposal Submission
- Download and email an electronic version of the grant solicitation (RFA, RFP, PA) and a brief description of your intent to your LRA and A&S Research Administration.
- If your solicitation will involve a special request as listed below, please inform your LRA and A&S Research Administration to facilitate the approval process as described below.
Request Contact PI Eligibility Waiver Letter Dean Robert Cook, Office of the Vice Provost for Research Course Release Department's Academic Deans:
Joseph Auner, Nancy Bauer, Bárbara Brizuela, Robert Cook
Alterations or renovations
Major Equipment purchase
Chris Helmuth, Executive Administrative Dean Cost Sharing (mandatory or voluntary) Chris Helmuth, Dean Robert Cook, and Office of the Vice Provost Indirect Costs Recovery less than Federal Rates Dean Robert Cook, mandatory reduction
Chris Helmuth, voluntary reduction
- Please inform the A&S LRA once approval has been obtained.
Preparing the Submission
- A&S is available to assist you with the following:
- Understanding sponsor or grant guidelines/requirements
- Administrative pages of your proposal
- Budget preparation
- Assisting with subcontractor and other collaborative requirements
- Navigating the Tufts internal process
- Things to remember:
- Always adhere to the requirements of the grant solicitation.
- Fringe and Indirect Costs rates
- Graduate students' salaries/stipends are guided by the department's policy on teaching assistants or by specific sponsor guidelines.
- For Graduate Research Assistants budgeted on grant proposals, A&S requires recovering tuition costs prorated on the graduate students' level of effort. (See Tuition Guide)
- A&S also requires recovering 100% health insurance and 100% health fees for each graduate student budgeted prorated on the graduate students' level of effort. (See Tuition Guide; see also Fees)
Routing the Submission
- All proposals must be submitted in Research Administration System (RAS) five business (5) days in advance of the sponsor deadline. The following must be included in the RAS proposal:
- Draft of proposal application including narrative
- Detailed budget and justification
- Subcontract documents (if applicable)
- Subcontract letter of collaboration
- Budget and justification
- Scope of Work
- Letter of Intent
Additional information and university policies may be found at Research Administration and Development.