Grant Proposal Submissions
This resource page has been designed specifically for the use of the Arts and Sciences faculty and students to assist in the grant submission process. Below you will find guidance on university and department requirements, procedures, required forms, and most importantly, who to contact should questions arise.
A&S Research Administration provides assistance in proposal development, submission, and post-award management. We recommend using the on-line COS (Community of Science) search engine to find grant opportunities. Note: For private or foundation searches, contact Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR).
- Faculty Fellowships for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty Fellowships for Basic Sciences
- Federal Grant Opportunities for Graduate Students
- Find Funding | Tufts Office of the Vice Provost for Research
On occasion the sponsor may limit the number of proposals submitted from one institution. Please contact Tufts Limited Submissions Office, your local research administrator (LRA), and A&S Research Administration, if the sponsoring agency has set such limits.
- Start this process at least a month in advance of the stated grant deadline.
- Download and email an electronic version of the grant solicitation (RFA, RFP, PA) or email a link to the grant solicitation and a brief description of your intent to your LRA and A&S Research Administration.
- If your solicitation will involve a special request as listed below, please inform your LRA and A&S Research Administration to initiate the approval process as described below.
Request Responsible Approver PI Eligibility Waiver LRA prepares letter Dean Robert Cook, Office of the Vice Provost for Research Course Release PI and Department Chair Nancy Bauer, Bárbara Brizuela, Robert Cook, Samuel Thomas Additional Space
Alterations or renovations
Major Equipment purchase
PI and Department Chair Chris Helmuth, Executive Administrative Dean Cost Sharing (mandatory or voluntary) PI and LRA Chris Helmuth, EAD
Robert Cook, Dean of Research
F&A Rate less than Federal Rates LRA prepares Reduced F&A Request Form Mandatory reduction: Jacqueline Dejean, Assistant Dean of Research
Voluntary reduction: Chris Helmuth, Executive Administrative Dean
Preparing the Submission
- A&S & LRAs provide assistance with the following:
- Understanding sponsor or grant guidelines and requirements
- Administrative pages of your proposal
- Budget preparation
- Subcontractor and other collaborative requirements
- Navigating the Tufts internal process
- Things to remember:
- Always adhere to the requirements of the grant solicitation.
- Fringe Benefits and Indirect Costs rates apply unless prohibited by the sponsor
- Graduate students' salaries are determined by the Service Employees International Union Local 509 Collective Bargaining Agreement, specific sponsor guidelines, or the department's policy on research assistants.
- For Graduate Research Assistants on grant proposals, A&S requires recovering tuition costs prorated on the graduate students' level of effort. Policy: A&S Graduate Student Tuition on Grants.
- A&S also requires recovering health insurance and health fees for each graduate student budgeted prorated on the graduate students' level of effort. Policy: A&S Graduate Health Expenses on Grants
Routing the Submission
- All proposals must be submitted via the Research Administration System (RAS) five business (5) days in advance of the sponsor deadline. The following must be included in the RAS proposal:
- Detailed budget and budget justification
- Sponsor required administrative documents
- Draft of sponsor required scientific documents
- Subcontract documents (if applicable)
- Subcontract letter of collaboration
- Budget and justification
- Scope of Work
- Letter of Intent
Additional information and university policies may be found at Research Administration and Development.