The professional internship consists of a minimum of 150 hours of supervised work usually completed during the summer between the two academic years. Most internships are located in a public or nonprofit agency. Students may also elect a research internship where they would work on a university-based project. Although faculty provide assistance and advice, and the department posts internship listings, students are expected to secure their own internship placements, most of which are paid.
The following five steps are required to complete the internship. Please read the Internship Requirements document for details.
- Submit an Internship Agreement.
- Register for UEP 299 Internship in the same semester (if your internship is in the fall or spring) or the semester following your internship (if your internship is in the summer). This is a non-credit but required course for the M.A. program.
- Devote at least 150 hours to your internship.
- Complete the Student Self-Learning Assessment (online survey).
- Have your supervisor complete the Supervisor Evaluation (online survey).
Examples of recent internships:
- ABCD Housing, Boston, MA
- City of Medford, Medford, MA
- Bluefield Research, Boston, MA
- Ceres, Boston, MA
- Chicago Loop Alliance, Chicago, IL
- Clean Water Action, Providence, RI
- County of Marin (Calif.) Sustainability Team, San Rafael, CA
- Charles River Watershed Association, Weston, MA
- Department of Public Works, City of Cambridge, MA
- EcoSecurities, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Gardens for Health International, Rwanda
- Irish Immigration Center, Boston, MA
- Massachusetts Association of CDCs, Boston, MA
- Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance, Boston, MA
- Ministerio del Ambiente y Energia, Despacho del Viceministro, San Jose, Costa Rica
- The Municipal Art Society of New York, New York, NY
- Ocean River Institute, Cambridge, MA
- One Family, Inc., Boston, MA
- Planning and Development Department, Town of Ipswich, MA
- Project for Public Spaces, New York, NY
- Santa Fe Watershed Association, Santa Fe, NM
- Somerville Community Corp., Somerville, MA
- State of Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development, Montpelier, VT
- The Trust for Public Land (TPL), Boston, MA
- United Way, Boston, MA
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 1, Boston, MA
- WalkBoston, Boston, MA
- Waltham Land Trust, Waltham, MA