BA in Religion
Program Requirements and Policies
- Ten courses are required for the BA in Religion.
- No course may count for both the diversity and depth requirements.
- No more than four courses transferred from other institutions (including Tufts programs abroad) may count toward the Religion major requirements unless approved by the advisor.
- If you have more than one major, please see the Tufts Bulletin for rules on double-counting courses.
- If you have a minor, no more than two course credits used toward the minor may be used toward foundation, distribution, major, or other minor requirements.
- Students must take REL 99: Theory and Method in the Study of Religion. We recommend that students take at least two other courses in religion prior to enrolling in this course.
- Diversity requirement (four courses): Students should have exposure to at least four different religious traditions. This may be accomplished through classes in which four different traditions are taught, or through four courses, each focused on a different religious tradition, or through some combination thereof. Students are to take four classes within the department to achieve the diversity requirement. The adviser and the chair of the Department of Religion must approve the courses taken to fulfill this requirement.
- Depth requirement (three courses): Students must choose a subfield in religious studies and take three classes in that specialty. This may be one religious tradition, the traditions of a geographical region, or a religious textual tradition. One of the three courses must be in the doctrinal (theological and philosophical) aspects of religion. Two of the courses must be above-100 level and may include an independent study, or a senior thesis. The departmental adviser and the chair must approve the student's area of specialization.
- In addition to the above eight courses, two additional courses listed or cross-listed in religion, regardless of subject area, are required.