Certificate in Geographic Information Science
Tufts Geographic Information Science (GIScience) certificate focuses on principals of GIS, spatial analysis, spatial data management, and cartographic design. This certificate will help you prepare for a career in GIS technology in a variety of professional industries or research domains including environmental studies, urban studies, public health, and more. The four course certificate can be completed in 3 to 4 semesters and courses are offered in a flexible format, including in the evenings, weekends, and online, making the program accessible to working professionals. As a student in the program, you’ll also have access to Tufts’ Data Labs, full-service computing labs dedicated to geospatial technology, statistics, and data science which serve as a hub for GIS activities at Tufts and are designed to foster collaboration and innovation.
The certificate requires twelve credits. Most courses are three credits.
Two required courses (6 credits)
- Introduction to GIS or approved Intro to GIS course equivalent
- Advanced Spatial Modeling
Two electives from the following
- Intro to Remote Sensing
- Spatial Statistics
- Interactive Web Mapping
- One graduate-level statistical or quantitative methods course
- Thesis or capstone with core spatial methods pending approval of GIS certificate coordinator
- Other courses may be approved by the coordinator if they have a core spatial component.
For additional information about this certificate, please contact Sumeeta Srinivasan.