Minor in English
The Minor in English allows students to experiment widely or to follow a particular interest with some concentration. Therefore, each minor will be individual, not only in content but also in concept. Students in the minor are expected to plan a coherent program of study that leads to breadth, pursues a specialized interest, or combines these two objectives. We encourage all students to include at least one course numbered below 100 and one above 100 and to consult with faculty members as they pursue their minors.
To declare a minor in English, complete the electronic Declaration of Minor form on the Registrar’s website before December 2nd of your senior year. You do not need department approval in order to declare a minor.
Program Requirements and Policies
- If you have a minor, no more than two course credits used toward the minor may be used toward foundation, distribution, major, or other minor requirements.
- The Minor in English requires students to take six courses in the Department of English. English 1, 2, 3, and 4 do not count towards the minor.
- Students must receive a grade of C- or higher in any course that they wish to count towards the fulfillment of the minor.
- Only courses offered by the English Department or crosslisted with an English Department registration number can count for the English minor. ExCollege courses may not be counted towards the minor.
- No more than two transfer courses may be applied towards the minor. These must be taken in an English Department.
- Students may count a maximum of three creative writing courses (defined as courses numbered English 0005- 0017) towards fulfillment of the minor. Fulfillment of the College Writing Requirement is a prerequisite for ENG 0005-0017.