I joined Tufts University as a tenured full professor in the fall of 1999. Since 2003, I have held a joint appointment at the History Department and the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and am currently the holder of the Mary Richardson chair. After double majoring in history and political science from Wellesley College in 1978, I went to the United Kingdom where I received my doctorate in history from the University of Cambridge in 1983. I was a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge (1980-84), Leverhulme Fellow at the Centre of South Asian Studies, Cambridge (1984-87), Fellow of the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars in Washington, DC (1985-86) and Academy Scholar at the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies (1988-90). Between 1998-2003, I was a MacArthur Fellow. I have taught at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Tufts University, Columbia University, and Harvard University.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- The Struggle for Pakistan: A Muslim Homeland and Global Politics, (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2014)
- The Pity of Partition: Manto's Life, Times and Work Across the India Pakistan Divide, The Lawrence Stone Lectures April 2011, (Princeton University Press, 2013)
- Manto, joint editor with Nusrat Jalal for this Bilingual (Urdu and English) commemorative volume on Saadat Hasan Manto's birth centenary, (Lahore: Sang-e-Meel Publications, 2012)
- Oxford Companion to Pakistani History, editor, (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2012)
- Partisans of Allah: Jihad in South Asia, (Harvard University Press, 2008)
- Self and Sovereignty: the Muslim Individual and the Community of Islam in South Asia,(London: Routledge, 2000).
- Modern South Asian History, Culture, Political Economy, joint author with Sugata Bose (London: Routledge, 2011).
- Nationalism, Democracy and Development: State and Politics in India, joint editor with Sugata Bose (Delhi: Oxford U Press, 1997).
- Democracy and Authoritarianism in South Asia: a Comparative and Historical Perspective,(Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 1995).
- State of Martial Rule; the Origins of Pakistan's Political Economy of Defense, (Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 1990).
- The Sole Spokesman: Jinnah, the Muslim League, and the Demand for Pakistan, (Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 1985).
- Islam is the Ocean: Muslim Universalism in the Age of European Empire - joint editor with Sugata Bose
- Companion to Modern South Asia, (Routledge) with Sugata Bose