Frequently Asked Questions for Undergraduates

  • In accordance with department policy and the Privacy Act of 1974, the following procedures are followed:

    1. With the exception of records of freshmen advisees, all history major folders are kept in the Department Office.
    2. No student has unrestricted access, at will, to his or her file folder or dossier.
    3. Access to documents (e.g., letters of recommendation) generated since January 1, 1975, are available on request unless a "Waiver of Right to View Confidential Letters" has been signed. No material considered confidential that is dated prior to January 1, 1975, is open for inspection. This includes copies of letters of recommendation or evaluations available only to authorized personnel (e.g., the faculty and administration).
    4. Students are entitled to inquire as to what documents are in their folders, and may, on request, inspect unclassified materials, such as copies of transcripts or placement test scores.
  • Whether or not written final examinations or papers are required in any given course is left to the discretion of the instructor, as is the type of examination given (e.g., closed or open book; take-home; or classroom). In-class final examinations will be held at the time designated by the Registrar. Optional exam times may be arranged at the discretion of the instructor. If a make-up examination (either before or after the scheduled examination) is authorized by the instructor, students should expect the following:

    1. A different examination from the one regularly scheduled.
    2. An examination that, in fairness to all class members, minimizes the advantages given to a student who does not take the scheduled examination on time.
    3. Supervision during the examination by the instructor or teaching assistant.

    All students should be informed as soon as possible in the semester whether written examinations or papers will be required in their courses.

  • Under no circumstances will grades, papers or exams be distributed by the Department Office Staff. Because of privacy legislation, nothing of a confidential nature can be left in a public area for pick-up. Students may request notification from their instructor of final course grades and the return of papers and examinations by leaving a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the instructor. If no arrangements are made, written work is retained at the discretion of the instructor, but usually for not more than one or two semesters. In any case, the student is entitled to consult with the instructor regarding any such work, but the consultation should be scheduled in a timely fashion if it is after the end of the semester.

  • The Registrar's Office will automatically award the student one course credit toward graduation for a score of 4 or 5 in the American or European history AP exam. If a 4 or 5 is achieved in both fields, then two course credits are awarded. The credit or credits will be recorded without grade on the student's academic transcript, and no action is required by the student.

    Under special circumstances, credit towards graduation can be given for college-level work done in an institution or program of higher learning while the student was still enrolled in secondary school. (See the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Education for further information on these special circumstances).

    The student should note that none of the above-mentioned credits can be counted towards the requirements for the history major, even when they are included among the total number of courses (34) required for the BA degree.

  • When submitting University degree sheets (provided by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Education) for approval by the advisor and Department Chair, students are also required to complete a departmental < History Major Concentration Checklist > form available in the Department Office, East Hall 10. Once approved by the advisor and the Department Chair, the degree sheet will be placed in the student pick-up box in East Hall 10 so that the student may retrieve the form.

    The student is responsible for filing his or her degree sheet with the office of the Dean of the Colleges (Dowling Hall). This is not the responsibility of the Department.

  • Students desiring history-major (as well as degree) credit for history courses taken through Tufts University-sponsored programs abroad or through the Boston-area consortium are not required to apply for Transfer of Credit. Students desiring history-major credit for courses taken at an institution not affiliated with Tufts or in the Boston-area consortium are required to apply for Transfer of Credit.

    Applications for transfer of credit are submitted through the WebCenter and reviewed by a designated member of the History Department. By approving transfer of credit, the History Department certifies that a course taken at another institution can be counted among the ten courses required for a degree in history. It is up to the student, in consultation with the advisor, to determine the course's suitability for distribution or other degree requirements.

    Transfer courses taken at institutions affiliated with Tufts Programs Abroad and the Boston-area consortium that provide cross-registration with Tufts are recorded on the Tufts transcript as graded courses. Transfer credit approved for college-level work done in non-Tufts overseas programs and at other colleges and universities will be recorded on a Tufts transcript with the amount of credit, but the grade will not be shown. According to university rules, courses taken at community colleges after matriculation at Tufts cannot be approved for transfer of credit. No more than four of the history major concentration requirements may be transferred from other institutions.