Minor in Portuguese
Interested students should consult the designated advisor for the minor.
Program Requirements and Policies
- Six courses are required for the Minor in Portuguese.
- Liberal Arts students may not minor and major in the same discipline; they may not be certified in more than one minor (except when one of the minors is disciplinary and the other is interdisciplinary).
- No more than one credit in Independent Study may be counted toward the minor.
- It is highly recommended that seniors returning from overseas programs enroll in an appropriate Portuguese course in the Department of Romance Languages during their final year of study.
- Three courses in Portuguese language, culture and/or literature above POR 3.
- Three courses chosen from among the following:
- Up to three more courses in Portuguese language, literature, and/or culture;
- Up to two courses of the Lusophone culture or civilization courses listed in the Guidelines for acceptable courses taught in English or Spanish;
- One upper-level culture or literature course taught in Portuguese in a program abroad;
- A second upper-level course taught in Portuguese and completed in abroad may be counted if approved by the minor coordinator