Minor in Spanish
Interested students should consult the designated advisor for the minor.
Program Requirements and Policies
- Six courses are required for the Minor in Spanish.
- Liberal Arts students may not minor and major in the same discipline; they may not be certified in more than one minor (except when one of the minors is disciplinary and the other is interdisciplinary).
- Open to Arts and Sciences students who started in SPN-0001, SPN- 0002, or SPN-0003. Students who started at higher levels are encouraged to pursue the major.
Course Requirements for Liberal Arts Students
- Three courses in Spanish language, SPN-0004 or SPN-0005, SPN-0021, SPN-0022 or SPN-0023.
- Two courses in Spanish or Latin American literature at the 30-level (SPN-0030, SPN-0031, SPN-0032, SPN-0033)
- One course in Spanish or Latin American language, literature, or culture at the 100-level.
Course Requirements For Engineering Students
The Humanities and/or Arts (HA) and Social Sciences (SS) requirements for students in the School of Engineering may be satisfied by a Special Minor in Spanish language and culture comprising a total of six courses.
Engineering students may not minor and major in the same discipline; they may not be certified in more than one minor, except when completing a Special Minor for Engineers in foreign language and culture studies; they may not be certified in a minor if they have more than one major, except when completing a Special Minor for Engineers in foreign language and culture studies.
For further information, see the designated advisors for the Special Minors for Engineering Students.
- Five credits above Spanish 03.
- The sixth credit must be taken in the Social Sciences or the Humanities, concentrating on the area in which the target language is spoken.
Please note the following stipulations:
- Of the five credits taken in the Department of Romance Languages to satisfy Requirement I, no more than one credit may be taken in English.
- Students must determine their level of proficiency in the language by examination:
- Placement test at Tufts;
- Advanced Placement Test Score;
- CEEB SAT II Subject Test Score.
- Students will not be given credit toward the minor for courses taken below this initial placement.
- Students must consult the designated advisor for the special minor.
- Independent Studies will not be available.