BA in Sociology
Program Requirements and Policies
- A minimum of ten courses and 30 semester hour units (SHUs) in Sociology are required to complete the Sociology major.
- All courses and semester hour units used in fulfillment of the major must be taken for a letter grade (not pass/fail). Grades below C- will not be counted.
- At least six of the courses and at least 18 semester hour units must be listed or cross-listed by the Tufts University Department of Sociology.
- The following three core courses, at least two of which must be taken in the Tufts Department of Sociology:
- SOC 001: Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 103: Sociological Theory
- Research Methods Requirement*, which is satisfied by taking one of the following options:
- Option 1: SOC 100: Research Design and Interpretation or
- Option 2: SOC 101: Quantitative Research Methods AND SOC 102: Qualitative Research Methods
- One seminar course numbered 180 or above, and designated as a seminar (SEM:). Must be taken in the Sociology Department on the Tufts Medford Campus.
- Six unrestricted electives (Five if SOC 101 AND SOC 102 are taken as the research requirement), except for students who choose to complete a cluster.
*Additional Information About the Research Methods Requirement
As you plan, keep in mind that we generally offer:
- SOC 100 Research Design and Interpretation each Fall and Spring
- SOC 101 Quantitative Methods each Fall
- SOC 102 Qualitative Methods each Fall and periodically in the Spring
- SOC 103 Sociological Theory each Fall and Spring
Read a detailed explanation on the Department of Sociology Research Methods Requirement.