Jumbo Appreciation Awards
The Jumbo Appreciation Awards recognize extraordinary contributions by our staff toward the educational and research mission of school, including our commitments to creating an anti-racist and inclusive environment.
All staff members in the School of Arts and Sciences (including SMFA at Tufts), the AS&E Shared Student Divisions (including Student Life, Student Services, Undergraduate Education, Student Diversity and Inclusion, Admissions, and Tisch Library), and the School of Engineering are eligible for this award. Nominations can be made by anyone–colleagues, faculty, managers, and students.
Categories to nominate staff include:
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice (DEIJ) – acknowledges staff who carry out DEIJ work for their unit, department, and/or school
- Team Player – congratulates someone for always moving the group forward, especially anti-racist and DEIJ efforts
- Above & Beyond – recognizes a colleague who goes the extra mile and contributes to a climate of inclusion
- Leader of the Herd – thanks a manager or colleague for expert guidance that creates a sense of belonging and respect for all team members
- Jumbo Ideas – rewards a colleague who thinks outside the box and finds creative solutions, in particular those that advance DEIJ values
One winner will be selected monthly from A&S/SMFA departments and one winner will be selected monthly from AS&E Shared divisions.
Nomination Process: Submissions via the online nomination form will be accepted on a rolling basis. Selection committees comprised of representatives from A&S and the Shared Student Divisions will select the winners for their respective school/divisions.
Award: Winners will receive an elephant figurine as well as a bonus day (i.e. an extra vacation day) to recognize their special contributions to our school.
The bonus day should be used by June 30, the end of the fiscal year when it was awarded. (Winners in the months of April, May and June can either use their day or roll it over for use the following fiscal year. Use and approval of bonus days follow all the same processes as vacation days.)