Deans of Academic Affairs
The deans of academic affairs for Arts and Sciences and the SMFA dean are responsible for the academic programs within the schools and for supporting the work of our faculty.
- Bárbara M. Brizuela, Dean of Academic Affairs, Arts and Sciences
- Heather S. Nathans, Dean of Academic Affairs, Arts and Sciences
- Samuel Thomas, Dean of Academic Affairs, Arts and Sciences
- Scheri Fultineer, Dean, SMFA at Tufts
Faculty Affairs for School of Arts & Sciences
The Office of Faculty Affairs oversees various aspects of administration pertaining to faculty for over 650 full-time and part-time faculty in the School of Arts and Sciences and the School for the Museum of Fine Arts. Major office functions include: faculty recruitment and hiring, appointments, compensation, faculty unions, reappointment, reviews, leaves, sabbaticals, and retirement. Learn more.
Research at Tufts
The Office of the Dean of Research coordinates strategic planning and implementation for research in the School of Arts and Sciences. This office is responsible for research development and facilitation at the school and plays a key role in coordinating large, collaborative grants (across the school, University, and/or multiple institutions) and in fostering a culture that facilitates the acquisition of extramural support for research.
The Office of the Secretary of the Faculty for Arts, Sciences & Engineering
The Office of the Secretary of the Faculty serves as an administrative resource for faculty members, staff, and administrators across Arts and Sciences and Engineering.
Visit the website of the Office of the Secretary of the Faculty for essential faculty information regarding:
- A&S faculty meetings
- Department chairs' meetings and reminders
- Committees and committee meetings
- Searches and openings for full- and part-time faculty members
- Resources including directories, bylaws, the AS&E Faculty Handbook, CBAs, and policies
- Awards and their recipients
- Information pertaining to retirement and former faculty
- Faculty work-life matters
- Academic leave application form
- Grievance panel and faculty ombudsperson information
Faculty Equity, Inclusion, and Productivity Program
This program provides support to faculty whose caregiving responsibilities impede their ability to travel for research or to participate in workshops, professional conferences, or other research-related collaborations. Tenured and tenure-track faculty and full-time professors of the practice are able to apply to receive a limited portion of their university-allocated research funds as a disbursement to cover family care costs associated with research travel, research-related collaborations, or workshop or conference participation.
- Part-Time Lecturers' CBA (2022-2027)
- Full-Time Lecturers' CBA (2019-2024)
- Part-Time Professional Development Fund Guidelines & Application
- Full-Time Professional Development Fund Guidelines & Application
- Agency Fee Check-Off Form
- Union Membership Form
Textbook and Course Materials
The Adoption & Insights Portal (AIP) supports faculty as they select course materials by providing cost estimates and affordable textbook alternatives.
Teaching Technology Resources
- Educational Technology Services (ETS), offers further information, tools, and support to integrate technology into academic courses during the semester. ETS also offers a collection of user guides covering the tools and technologies that are helpful for teaching in a variety of modalities.
- Teaching@Tufts, a site jointly overseen by CELT (the Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching) and ETS, hosts resources for teaching and effective use of technology to support students’ learning goals, such as online course design, online assessment, and available technology tools for teaching.