Since its foundation in 1984, the program has graduated +800 students. Our alumni include effective practitioners and advocates for the environment in policy, science, medicine, law, finance, industry, government, non-profit organizations and academia. The Environmental Studies Program provides a solid multidisciplinary understanding of current environmental issues, hands-on experience, and important career advice.
Tufts also offers a Loan Repayment Assistance Program for Tufts alumni who have taken out student loans to fund their Tufts education and who then find full-time employment at a non-profit (including in education and government). Please read more and take advantage of this program on the LRAP website.
ENVS alumni can keep in touch and network with other ENVS alumni through the Tufts University Environmental Studies Program Linkedin group.
The ENVS Program in recent graduates' words
"The professors were all so passionate! It was inspirational."
"The idea of critical thinking is pushed: to think about environmental problems through different lenses and attempt to come to a solution that incorporates them all."
"The ENVS Program does an extraordinarily good job communicating with its students. I love being on the e-list and getting notified of events, internships, jobs, opportunities, etc."
"It helped me realize that there are many possible career paths from Environmental Studies."
"I loved the flexibility and interdisciplinary of this major; I took classes in Economics, Biology, Chemistry, CEE, UEP, English, etc."
"I really feel that this major helped me to understand environmental issues and gain a strong scientific background for future work in the field. The classes were interesting, and I think the information I learned through them will be useful throughout my career."
"Very relevant to what I would like to do, good community of people, some really good classes. Classes that were "requirements" surprised me with how much I liked them."
What do our alumni do after graduation?
1 Year Post-Graduation
- Project Administrator at Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
- Communications Officer at EcoLogic Development Fund
- Food and Farm Educator at Drumlin Farm
- Environmental Education Volunteer at Peace Corps, Tanzania
- Management Assistant at Federal Aviation Administration
- Research Associate at NERA Economic Consulting
- Staff Scientist at Partner Engineering & Science, Inc.
- Candidate for M.S. in Geoscience at University of North Carolina
- Assistant Environmental Scientist at Tetra Tech
5 Years Post-Graduation
- Sustainability Program Director and Co-founder at Smoky Mountains Corps
- Senior Environmental Scientist at Haley & Aldrich
- Hydrogeologist / GIS Specialist at Golden State Water Company
- Dual-degree candidate at Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies and Yale School of Management
- Contributing Editor at The Inertia Mountain
- Staff Engineer at Geosyntec Consultants
- Grad student in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation at University of Florida
- Architect at Goody Clancy
- Lawyer at Ruskin Moscou Faltischek
10 Years Post-Graduation
- Founder and Partner at No. 29 Communications
- AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellow in the Dimensions of Biodiversity Program at National Science Foundation
- Associate at Hunton & Williams LLP
- Senior Spatial Analyst/ GIS Manager at The Nature Conservancy
- Principal Procurement Agent at Roche Molecular Systems
- Project Officer, Green Municipal Fund in Ottawa
- Communications Coordinator, Gulf of Maine Research Institute
15 Years Post-Graduation
- High School Biology Teacher
- Branch Chief/Research Environmental Health Scientist at EPA
- Assistant Professor at University North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- Environmental consultant
- Water Resources Manager at Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc.
20 Years Post-Graduation
- Chief Operating Officer of McKinsey Center for Business & Environment
- Executive Director at Great Basin Heritage Area Partnership
- Director of Regional Plan Implementation at Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Associate Professor of Landscape Ecology at Penn State
- Exec. Director of the Alliance for Clean Energy New York
- Senior lecturer at the University of Sheffield
- Associate Biologist at Monk & Associates
- Field biologist and nature artist
- Interactive Media Producer at GMRI
- Easement Stewardship Specialist at the Nature Conservancy
- Executive Vice President at Applied Geographics