Alpha Kappa Delta
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the International Sociology Honor Society whose purpose is to seek to acknowledge and promote excellence in the scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition. It is a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Athropon Katamannthanein Diakonesin or "to investigate humanity for the purpose of service."
The Tufts chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta is the Alpha Chapter, founded in 1952. Professor Freeden Blume Oeur currently serves as the Chapter Representative. Membership is limited to undergraduate and graduate students in sociology (majors, minors, and those who are interested in sociology) who have maintained a record of high academic achievement in the discipline. We welcome applications for membership every fall semester, and new members are inducted into the chapter each spring. Membership in Alpha Kappa Delta is an earned honor. Once you join, you become a lifetime member.
Am I Eligible?
The criteria for the Tufts chapter, Alpha, are:
- You must be a Sociology major, minor, or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within Tufts.
- You must be at least a junior.
- You need to have completed at least 4 courses in sociology at Tufts, with a minimum GPA of at least 3.0 in your sociology courses.
- You must have an overall GPA that is in the top 35% of your class, or an overall GPA of 3.3.
What are the benefits?
Membership in Alpha Kappa Delta offers many benefits, including but not limited to:
- A free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Student Paper Competitions, winners of which receive a cash prize and travel money to participate in the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting.
- Student Travel Money grants to cover the travel costs for students to present at regional sociological meetings.
- A Mentorship Program, providing students an opportunity to connect and network with other AKD members and professionals in the sociology field.
How Do I Apply for Membership?
If you would like to be considered for membership in Alpha Kappa Delta, please complete the application form and return it to the Sociology Department in Eaton Hall 102B or email it to staff assistant Amy Pendleton, in order to be considered for induction in the spring semester.
For more information, visit the Alpha Kappa Delta website.