Awards & Scholarships
Norton Nickerson Endowed Internship Grant
This is an endowed internship grant to honor the memory of the late Prof. Norton Nickerson, founder of the Tufts Environmental Studies Program (est. 1984). This internship will provide $4,000 for students undertaking unpaid summer internships, both in the U.S. and abroad. Preference will be given to ENVS majors conducting work in the area of environmental science but those working in other environmentally-related areas are encouraged to apply. Students must apply through the Career Center.
Application Process and Deadlines
- 2022 Ryan Kane
- 2021 David Jiang
- 2020 Will Capriola
- 2019 Luke Briccetti
- 2018 Adrienne LaForte
- 2017 Alberto Rivera
In addition to the awards below, learn about other General and Departmental Awards at Tufts.
The Nancy W. Anderson Award for Environmental Sustainability
The Nancy W. Anderson Award for Environmental Sustainability is awarded to a junior or senior in Environmental Studies whose work in the natural, and social sciences, engineering, or humanities promotes integration of those subjects in informing public policy decisions that may protect endangered natural resources while promoting sound social and economic development. Recipients of this award are chosen by the Environmental Studies Program. This award is sponsored by the Tufts Institute of the Environment.
Environmental Studies Career Building Award
The Environmental Studies Program offers up to $150 per semester (Max. $100 per student) to help declared Environmental Studies majors pay for costs to attend local conferences, workshops or any other event relevant to the student's career goals in the context of the Environmental Studies major. Students are only eligible to receive one award. Application review will begin the first week of classes in each semester and will be accepted on a rolling basis while funds last. To apply send the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Award recipients must send a summary/report/self-reflection of the event (1 page max) within a week after the event.
The Lily Glidden Award
The Lily Glidden Award is awarded each semester to help students from pursuing a dream, in the U.S. or internationally, to explore and learn about the interconnected life on our planet. Awards are not limited to biology majors.
The Anne E. Borghesani Memorial Prize
The Anne E. Borghesani Memorial Prize is an annual incentive award that will enable the recipients to undertake a project, activity, or plan of study in any field involving international issues. The prize is designed to encourage personal growth and independence, while increasing one’s understanding of all peoples and encouraging a commitment to the world community. Awards are not limited to IR majors.
The Tisch Fund for Civic Engagement
The Tisch Fund for Civic Engagement welcomes requests for funding of events, projects, and programs with a clear connection to active citizenship. Funding will be considered for student groups and organizations, or individual students who plan to engage other students in their work.
Annual Undergraduate Environmental Photo Contest
The Tufts Environmental Studies Program supports an annual Environmental Photo Contest. The contest is open to all Tufts undergraduate students and will include prizes for 1st place ($150), 2nd place ($100), and 3rd place ($50).
Annie's Homegrown Sustainable Agriculture Scholarship
- Eligibility: Open to full-time undergraduate and graduate students studying at an accredited 2 or 4 year college or graduate school in the U.S. Students must be focusing studies on sustainable agriculture. International students may apply as long as they are studying at a U.S. school.
- Award: $2,500-$10,000
- Selection: Applications are due in December
Please visit Annie's Homegrown website for more information.
The Udall Scholarship
- Eligibility: college sophomore or junior "who has demonstrated a commitment to a career related to the environment"; GPA of 3.0+; U.S. citizen, national or permanent resident
- Award: up to $5,000 for undergraduate tuition/fees; Scholars conference in August of award year
- Selection: Tufts may nominate up to 6 applicants per year; 80 Scholars chosen nationally
- Tufts deadline: mid-February
Please visit the Udall Foundation website for more information.
- Fulbright Program for U.S. Students
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Environment America Fellowship
- EPA Greater Research Opportunities (GRO) Fellowships for Undergraduate Environmental Study
- Louis B. Sohn Fellowship in Human Rights and the Environment