Internship Credit

Can I get credit for an internship?

Most media-related internships qualify for credit under the course FMS-0099 Media Internships. By challenging you to problem-solve and reflect on your experiences, this course helps you get the most out of your internship and relate it to your academic and career interests.

Internships for credit:


  • Students are eligible for for-credit internships beginning in the summer after their first year. 
  • Students must receive approval from Leslie Goldberg before they begin work. 
  • FMS-0099 Credits/work hours count as follows:
    • FMS-0099-01 is 4 credits for 150 work hours/semester (about 2, 8-hour days/week)
    • FMS-0099-02 is 2 credits for 75 work hours/semester (about 1, 8-hour day/week) 
  • One FMS-0099 4-credit internship counts towards the FMS major or minor as an additional elective. Alternatively, students can combine two 2-credit internships across two semesters to count towards the FMS major or minor as an additional elective. (NOTE: Tufts allows students to count up to 2 internships toward their graduation requirements.) 
  • Students must enroll in FMS-0099 during the semester/summer they are working at their internship; you cannot enroll or receive credit retroactively. 
  • FMS-0099 is graded P/F. For more details on FMS-0099 coursework and assignments, view the sample syllabus.
  • Students do not need to be an FMS major or minor to do an internship for credit. 
  • Tufts allows transfer internship credit from one of the Tufts Study Abroad programs or from the Boston University Study Abroad programs in London, Sydney, or Los Angeles. Internships done through other study abroad programs or independently while studying elsewhere will not be accepted for credit transfer.

*Since summer internships for credit require you to pay for the course through the Tufts Summer School, some students opt to save money by choosing Career Credit, offered through Tufts Career Services. (Career Credit is free but does not earn SHUs.) Learn more about Career Credit.

Internship Credit for International Students

If you are an international student, you must apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) through the Tufts International Center in order to do an internship for credit through FMS. You may not begin work at your internship until you receive CPT approval.

Learn more and apply for CPT

For more information, contact the International Center.