Occupational Therapy, Rehabilitation Science; Activity Performance and Participation of Children, Youth and Young Adults with Disabilities; Measurement and Intervention Development and Testing
The ultimate aim of my research is to promote activity performance and participation of children, youth, and young adults with disabilities across the lifespan. I am particularly interested in assessment and intervention approaches that identify and build upon what individuals already know and do to manage their daily life routines and participate in meaningful activities. I have developed a number of measures as primary author such as the Child and Adolescent Scale of Participation (CASP) and as co-author such as the Participation and Environment Measure for Children and Youth (PEM-CY). My most recent project (Social participation And Navigation or SPAN) involves the development and testing of an app-based coaching intervention to promote social participation of teenagers and transition-age young adults with acquired brain injuries and other conditions. (See personal website for current and past work and resources).
- O'Rourke, C.,* Linden, M., & Bedell. G. (2019). Scoping review of interventions to promote social participation in adolescents and young adults with Neurodisability. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy. Manuscript in press.
- Sirois, K., Tousignant,B., Boucher, N., Achim, A.M., Beauchamp, M.H., Bedell, G., Massicotte, E., Vera-Estay, E., & Jackson, P.L. (2019). The contribution of social cognition in predicting social participation following moderate and severe TBI in youth. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 29, 1383-1398. https://doi.org/10.1080/09602011.2017.1413987
- Lamash, L.,** Bedell, G., Josman, N. (2019). Participation patterns of adolescents with autism spectrum disorder compared to their peers: Parents’ perspectives. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0308022619853518
- Killeen, H., Shahin, S., Law, M., Bedell, G. & Anaby, D.(2019). Supporting the participation of youth with physical disabilities: Parents’ strategies. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 82(3), 153-161 https://doi.org/10.1177/0308022618808735
- Wade, S.L., Bedell, G., King, J.A., Jacquin, M.,* Turkstra, L.S., Haarbauer-Krupa, J., Johnson, J., Salloum, R., & Narad., M.E. (2018). Social Participation and Navigation (SPAN) program for adolescents with acquired Brain Injury: Pilot findings. Rehabilitation Psychology, 63(3), 327-337. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/rep0000187
- Narad, M.E., Bedell, G., King, J.A., Johnson, Turkstra, L.S., Haarbauer-Krupa , J., Wade, S.L. (2018). Social Participation and Navigation (SPAN): Description and usability of app-based coaching intervention for adolescents with TBI. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 21,439-448. https://doi.org/10.1080/17518423.2017.1354092
- 1. Tousignant, B., Jackson, P., Massicotte, E., Beauchamp, M., Achim, A., Vera-Estay, E., Bedell, G., & Sirois, K. (2018). Impact of traumatic brain injury on social cognition in adolescents and contribution of non-social cognitive functions. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 28(3), 429-447 https://doi.org/10.1080/09602011.2016.1158114
- Chen, W.C.,* Bedell, G.M., Yen, C.F., Liou, T.H., Kang, L.K., Liao, H.F., & Hwang, A.W. Psychometric Properties of the Chinese Version of the Child and Adolescent Factors Inventory (CAFI-C) (2017). Research in Developmental Disabilities, 68, 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2017.07.007
- Golos, A.** & Bedell, G. (2018). Responsiveness and discriminant validity of the Child and Adolescent Scale of Participation assessed over a three-year period with children and adolescents with TBI. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 7, 431-438. https://doi.org/10.1080/17518423.2017.1342711
- Bedell, G., Wade, S.L., Turkstra, L.S., & Haarbauer-Krupa, J. & King, J. (2017). Informing design of an app-based coaching intervention to promote social participation of teenagers with traumatic brain injury: Stakeholder perspectives. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 7, 408-417. https://doi.org/10.1080/17518423.2016.1237584
See personal website and Curriculum Vitae for additional publications, presentations, resources, and grants.