BA in History of Art and Architecture
The major in the History of Art and Architecture works to provide students with a critical and globally informed understanding of the history of art, architecture, and visual culture. Understanding the sources, aesthetics, and significance of images that people use to communicate — whether in the confined world of art or beyond — is crucial for anyone wanting to play an active part in society.
Program Requirements and Policies
- For the bachelor of arts degree in the History of Art and Architecture, a total of ten courses (for a minimum of 30 semester hours units, or SHUs) are required.
- All majors are required to take two courses that introduce broad fields and provide foundational training in the discipline. We strongly recommend that students take these classes early in their course of study, as they allow students to acquaint themselves with different fields and periods as well as the department's faculty. The two introductory courses are designed as a springboard to the more specialized upper level courses.
- As with all humanistic disciplines, art history is underpinned by certain theories and methods; these are at work in each and every course, but they are the focus of FAH 100: Theories and Methods of Art History, also a required class for majors, which is normally taken in the senior year.
- All courses used in fulfillment of a major must be taken for a letter grade (not pass/fail).
Each student will work with their faculty advisor to plan out their course of study in detail, which must include:
- Two introductory course in history of art and architecture
- FAH 100: Theories and Methods of Art History
- Seven additional courses in the History of Art and Architecture, one of which may be an approved course in a related field (e.g. history, literature, studio art). At least one course must be an upper-level seminar, with a course number of FAH 0198 or higher. Please note: A score of 4/5 on the Art History AP exam qualifies a major to take a second related field course instead of just one.
For inquiries about the History of Art and Architecture Major, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Program.