- Department of the History of Art and Architecture
Minor in Studio Art
The minor in studio art is intended for the student who wishes to add studio art experience to their undergraduate studies. Students have a variety of courses to choose from on both the Medford and Boston Campuses.
Program Requirements and Policies
- A total of 20 semester hour units (SHUs) are required for the minor in Studio Art. This can be accomplished by completing five studio art classes of four SHUs each or any combination of courses that total at least 20 SHUs.
- Studio art courses may be taken a second time for credit.
- It is recommended (but not required) to take an art history course in addition to your studio minor requirements.
- All courses used in fulfillment of a minor must be taken for a letter grade (not pass/fail).
- No more than two courses used for any minor, regardless of the number of semester hours they carry, may be used toward a foundation or distribution requirement, or toward a major or another minor.
- With the approval of the transfer of credit advisor (Patrick Carter), studio courses taken at accredited schools, colleges, and universities in the U.S. and abroad can be used to fulfill the studio requirements.
The following course requirements must also be met:
- DRWM0003: Art as Process (2 SHUs)
- At least one additional drawing class of at least 2 SHUs
To complete the rest of the minor, you may take any studio art classes on the Medford/Somerville or SMFA campus (provided the course is open to non-BFA students).