- Department of the History of Art and Architecture
Associate Professor Emerita
Cristelle Baskins earned a PhD from UC Berkeley. Her interests include secular subject matter, political allegory, domestic painting, and Renaissance art in modern film. She has published widely in scholarly journals such as Art History, Oxford Art Journal, The Burlington Magazine, and Studies in Iconography. Her book, Cassone Painting, Humanism and Gender in Early Modern Italy (Cambridge, 1998), was awarded an Honorable Mention by the Society for the Study of Early Modern Women. She has edited two volumes: The Medieval Marriage Scene: Prudence, Passion, Policy with Sherry Roush, and Allegory in Early Modern Visual Culture with Lisa Rosenthal. She curated an exhibition for the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, October 2008 - Jan 2009: The Triumph of Marriage: Renaissance Painted Wedding Chests. The exhibition was supported by the Mellon and Kress foundations. In 2009-2010, she was on sabbatical as an Aga Khan Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University working on a book project, Picturing North Africa and the Levant in Early Modern Italy.
- PhD, University of California Berkeley, 1988
- MA, University of California Berkeley, 1981
- BA, Scripps College, Claremont, CA, 1979
Italian Renaissance art, Mediterranean studies, early modern books, and portraiture
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Popes, Patriarchs, and Print: Representing Chaldeans in Renaissance Rome," Renaissance Studies 28 (2014): 405-425.
- "The Sopranos: Mannerist Painting and Postmodern Television," The Renaissance: Revised, Expanded, Unexpurgated, ed. M. Lasansky (Boston: Gutenberg Periscope Press, 2014), 152-168.
- The Triumph of Marriage: Painted Cassoni of the Renaissance(Boston: Gutenberg Periscope Publishing, Limited, 2008), with contributions by A. Chong, J. Musacchio, and A. Randolph.
- Early Modern Visual Allegory: Embodying Meaning, co-edited with Lisa Rosenthal, (Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2007).
- The Medieval Marriage Scene: Prudence, Passion, Policy, co-edited with Sherry Roush, (Tempe, AZ: MRTS, 2005).
- Cassone Painting, Humanism and Gender in Early Modern Italy, (Cambridge University Press, 1998)