Fifth-Year Master’s Degree Program: BA/MA in Music
The Music Department offers exceptional Tufts undergraduate Music, Sound, and Culture majors the option of a Fifth-Year Master’s Degree Program: BA/MA in Music. This program allows students to finish the BA and the MA in five years.
Graduates of the combined degree program receive both a bachelor's degree and a master’s degree from Tufts, and each degree is awarded upon completion of requirements for each portion. In other words, you would graduate with an undergraduate degree with your undergraduate class and graduate with a master's with your master’s cohort once your graduate requirements are met.
Program Requirements and Policies
- Graduates of the combined-degree BA/MA must complete all requirements for both the BA in Music, Sound, and Culture and the MA in Music.
- Completion of ten courses (numbered 100 or above) with grades of B- or better is required for the master’s degree.
- Up to two 100-level courses may be cross-counted from courses taken for the bachelor’s.
- Completing the BA/MA requires 8 semesters of full-time undergraduate residency, and 2 semesters of full-time graduate residency. Graduate residency can only begin after the undergraduate degree is completed. Please visit the Bulletin for more information.
Undergraduates should apply to the combined degree program by the end of the spring semester of their junior year. Senior year applications will only be considered if space allows. For application deadlines, please see the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences' Combined Degree information.
Tufts undergraduate students must submit an application through the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Applicants are not required to pay the graduate application fee.
- Applicants are not required to submit GRE scores.
- Applicants need only submit 2 letters of recommendation.