MS in Physics: Astrophysics
Program Requirements and Policies
- All elective courses must be approved in advance by the student's advisory committee.
- Any exceptions or substitutions must be approved by the student's advisory committee.
- Additionally, Graduate TA should register on SIS for PHY 405 (counting as 3 credits); Graduate RA should register on SIS for PHY 406 (counting as 3 credits).
8 graduate-level courses:
- Six core courses
- AST 121: Galactic Astronomy
- AST 122: Extragalactic Astronomy
- PHY 131: Advanced Classical Mechanics
- PHY 145: Classical Electromagnetic Theory I
- PHY 153: Statistical Mechanics
- PHY 163: Quantum Theory I
- One course chosen from the following:
- PHY 146: Classical Electromagnetic Theory II
- PHY 164: Quantum Theory II
- A course in radioactive processes in astrophysics (may be taken at another institution)
- One elective course in Physics or Astronomy