BS in Chemical Physics
Because a physics major can take you in many different directions, and students come to the subject with a wide range of backgrounds, interests and goals, we have designed our requirements for maximum flexibility. The material below describes the requirements and outlines some possible courses of study, but you will work closely with your advisor to design a curriculum aligned with your interests and goals. For more detailed information please speak with your advisor.
Program Requirements and Policies
- PHY 11 and 12 (or equivalent) are prerequisites for all Physics majors.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for the courses applied to the major and no more than one course applied to the major may have a grade of less than C-.
- No major courses may be taken Pass/Fail.
- If you have more than one major, please see Bulletin for rules on double-counting courses.
- If you have a minor, no more than two course credits used toward the minor may be used toward foundation, distribution, major, or other minor requirements.
I. CHEM 1: Chemical Fundamentals w/ Lab, CHEM 11: General Chemistry, or CHEM 16: Chemistry of Materials
II. CHEM 2: General Chemistry II w/ Lab or CHEM 12: General Chemistry II
III. PHY 1: Introduction to Physics I w/ Lab or PHY 11: General Physics I w/ Lab
IV. PHY 2: Introduction to Physics II w/ Lab or PHY 12: General Physics II w/ Lab
10 concentration courses:
I. Four courses in Chemistry with a prerequisite of CHEM 2 or CHEM 12.
II. Four courses in Physics with a prerequisite of PHY 2 or PHY 12.
III. Two courses in Mathematics (can be MATH 70: Linear Algebra or any Mathematics course with a prerequisite of MATH 42, 44, or 70).
The concentration courses in I and II must include the following:
I. PHY 13: Introduction to Modern Physics
II. Either CHEM 51: Organic Chemistry I or CHEM 61: Inorganic Chemistry
III. Advanced laboratory training: Either (a) PHY 64: Advanced Experimental Physics, or (b) CHEM 33 and CHEM 34: Physical Chemistry Lab
IV. Thermodynamics: Either PHY 52: Thermal Physics or CHEM 31: Physical Chemistry I
V. Quantum mechanics: Either PHY 61: Quantum Theory or CHEM 32: Physical Chemistry II